Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Boys Can Cook Too

There was a time when a girls place was considered to be in the kitchen and a boys place anywhere else, as long as it was as far from the kitchen as possible. But times have changed. Not only do young men need to know how to provide for themselves on a budget, many of them also enjoy cooking. Boys need to learn to cook so that they can be self-sufficient and capable of feeding themselves – no excuses. Plus, think how happy his future significant other will be to find out that he is a good cook. Unfortunately, many still believe that cooking is for women. How silly is that, since many of the best chefs are men.

When my boys are at their dad’s house he feeds them hot dogs with ramen noodles, scramble eggs and toast, or microwave meals. YUCK! So, my oldest has asked that I teach him how to cook so he can cook for his dad and brother when he’s there. Ever since he learned the finer points of the food pyramid, I think he’s concerned about keeping his girlish figure.

My kids like to help at a very young age, but I’ve often chased them from the kitchen believing their “help” will be more work for me. What I should have done instead is take the necessary precautions, teach them the rules of the kitchen, teach them to clean up after themselves, and supervise them constantly. Teaching children from a young age builds confidence. It also encourages them to try new things.

In addition to spending time with my boys and doing something I love, it is wonderful to watch them take so much pride in their cooking and manage to have fun in the process. This past weekend I taught Jonathan and Vinh how to make fettuccini alfredo, corn, and chocolate brownies and cake for dessert. The meal was a big hit!

Once boys thought they had no need for cooking skills. After all, they would grow up and marry a wife who would cook wonderful meals for them. There is no longer any guarantee that this will happen. With changing social patterns many young men remain single. If they don’t cook their own meal, no one else will do it for them. In these circumstances, boys who have been taught to cook while young have a definite financial and nutritional advantage when it comes to feeding themselves.

Even if young men do marry, there is no guarantee they will automatically be fed by loving wives. These days most marriages are partnerships, with both partners sharing responsibilities. These shared responsibilities should also include cooking a basic meal. Money goes a lot further when both partners are able to take their turn cooking simple, nutritious meals.

Boys will fare much better in their independent lives away from home if they can cook. By starting with simple tasks, such as boiling water and making toast, under parental guidance boys become comfortable in the kitchen. As they grow older they become more independent in the kitchen and learn to look after themselves. Mine have learned the art off “cooking” waffles in the toaster since the age of 3 so they wouldn't go hungry since I don't "do" breakfast.

It is my role to see that this independent confidence happens. When my sons leave home for the first time, I will have taught them to cook and will feel more relaxed, knowing that these boys have grown into young men who are at ease in the kitchen and who know how to make a meal other than hot dogs and ramen. I will know that I have given my sons skills that will enable them to survive both financially and socially in their new independent lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment