Monday, June 28, 2010

Pets, pets, and MORE pets!

Over the weekend, I spent some time with a friend and her daughters and by the time I left their house, I had inherited a hamster! A white looking RAT!!!! Our house now has 7 kids, two dogs, and a hamster! I don’t know what I was thinking! The only explanation I can come up with is that I’m getting soft in my old age. Most of the kids have this love for animals and I think that as I realize how fast they’re all growing up and how they all need or want the experience of pets, I’m starting to cave. All those who know me are VERY surprised by this “new” me!

The rules with pets, Maci and Choe (the dogs) sleep in our room, they’re not allowed on furniture, and not allowed upstairs. The rule for the hamster, name Rosie, is that she’s only allowed to roam the house in her ball and her cage stays in the laundry room.

I found information on line that supports my “caving in” to animals in the house so I’m going to stick with it and try to convince myself that this is a good thing and it’s healthy for the kids to have pets. According to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, “Pets are part of many childrens' lives. Parental involvement, open discussion, and planning are necessary to help make pet ownership a positive experience for everyone. A child who learns to care for an animal, and treat it kindly and patiently, may get invaluable training in learning to treat people the same way."

It goes on to cite the advantages of pet ownership such as children raised with pets develop positive feelings about pets which can contribute to a child's self-esteem and self-confidence. Positive relationships with pets can aid in the development of trusting relationships with others. A good relationship with a pet can also help in developing non-verbal communication, compassion, and empathy.

Pets can serve different purposes for children:
• They can be safe recipients of secrets and private thoughts--children often talk to their pets, like they do their stuffed animals.
• They provide lessons about life; reproduction, birth, illnesses, accidents, death, and bereavement.
• They can help develop responsible behavior in the children who care for them.
• They provide a connection to nature.
• They can teach respect for other living things.

Other physical and emotional needs fulfilled by pet ownership include:
• Physical activity
• Comfort contact
• Love, loyalty, and affection
• Experience with loss if a pet is lost or dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment