Thursday, June 17, 2010

Alone Time

When was the last time you were alone? I mean REALLY alone?

Before this last week, I can honestly say it’s been seven years.

There's a saying - if Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy. We know this is true - if a mom is angry, upset, or tired, the whole house is in a frenzy. Moms are, for the most part, in charge of making the house run smoothly. They change diapers, cook meals, help with homework, or just spend "mommy and me" time with their children. They devote so much of themselves to everyone else. They must make sure to be all about themselves for at least thirty minutes each day.

Instead of thirty minutes a day, I recently got a week to myself. I was being deliciously naughty this week, kicked back by the pool getting some sun and reading my book in the middle of the afternoon. I realized that I had not had to answer any questions that started with, “Where is….” You see, days and days go by where I’m pretty sure that my only function in my family is to identify the location of rouge baseball caps, runaway iPods, and, of course, the four phone handsets for the home phone on which no one calls us!

During this week I was able to catch up with phone calls to friends. It’s been a long time since my phone calls have been a priority; not to mention that I’m able to answer the phone rather than let it go to voicemail.

It’s been a week of no “Mommmmmmmmmmmmm where are you?” “Mom can I have …?” “Mom, Jaden won’t let me play with him.” Actually I have not heard the word “mom” all week. I must admit, I miss it. Laying by the pool I can’t help but wonder how my kids would have loved to be here and how much they would have enjoyed the pool and the hot tub, especially Angelina because she doesn’t like being cold.

In my conversations with my friends, I heard their kids in the background and I heard the “frazzle” in their voice. I knew they couldn’t give me a 100% of their attention because their kids needed to be fed, listened to, and catered to. I sat in silence waiting for them to finish with their kids, at the same time feeling a little envious because I don’t have my kids needing me.

This week I found myself talking incessantly about my children. I think I became one of those annoying women who cannot hold a conversation about the World Cup, Lakers vs. Celtics game, or Gulf Coast oil leak. I look out the balcony of my hotel and remember the last time we were here, cruising around the Hawaiin Islands together. I flip through the TV channels and miss the “fight” for the kid channel or mom’s channel.

Moms are extremely busy these days-and that’s just by being a mom! We forget to take time out for just ourselves. However, I found myself on foreign soil because I didn’t have to pick up after children, do the many loads of laundry, worry about their meals, and make sure they go to bed at decent time. I was able to get the “me” time I had so much wanted and needed. I was unproductive and loving it, though I did miss my tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment