Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Resolve to Laugh More in 2011

Research shows that laughter, the physiological response to humor, has a beneficial impact on one’s health. A good belly laugh leads to muscle relaxation, resulting in decreased tension. Humor also reduces the levels of stress hormones found in the blood — stress hormones can weaken the immune system, leading to increased potential for illness. To top it off, studies have shown that watching a 60-minute comedy can sufficiently increase immunoglobulin A, which protects against upper respiratory problems and increases the number of natural killer cells that seek out and destroy tumor cells in the body. Laughter has also been associated with pain reduction. It is theorized that this is due to the production of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killer, coupled with muscle relaxation.

In 2011, I have resolve to try and look at life’s frustrating and stressful situations with an eye for how I can re-frame and see the humor in the situation. With introspection, I realize that most of the time, I keep telling myself, “Let her (my7years old who dresses like Punky Brewster-Google and have yourself a good laugh) wear what she wants, someday, you’ll look back on this laugh.” One day I’ll look through these pictures of the many phases of Angelina’s attire and smile at the fond memories. Though, for the most part she’s a “mini me”, I find that I no longer have any say when it comes to her attire; she has her own sense of style and no one can teach her differently, though Christen and I have tirelessly and patiently tried. I picture myself someday telling these stories to my friends, family, and grandchildren, throw in a few added embellishments, and I can give myself and those around me more to laugh about.

So, if you’re not naturally funny, how can you go about adding fun, laughter, and happiness into your life? These health tips can help you develop your sense of humor!

• Hang funny cartoons or pictures where they will be a constant visual cue to smile (on the refrigerator, over your work desk, next to your bed).
• Find a good joke book at your library or bookstore, or search for jokes on the Internet. Learn one or two good ones and practice them on your friends. Schedule a joke night with family where everyone must tell a joke at dinner.
• Rent some funny movies.
• Try to see the humor in your own situation as much as possible.
• Laugh at yourself!

By the way, a doctor was reviewing his patient’s test results and called the patient’s wife to tell her of his findings. “Your husband is a very sick man — his cholesterol and blood pressure are very high and his diabetes is out of control. Unless you do what I tell you he will be dead in six months”.

“What should I do?” she asks.

“Remove all stress from his life, keep the house spotlessly clean, cook him three nutritious meals a day and have sex with him whenever he wants.”

The wife hung up the phone and said to her husband: “That was Dr. Smith with your test results.”

“What did he say?”

“He said you’re going to die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment