Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Grad School

I’ve been accepted to Sacramento State for Grad School starting Fall 2010; it’s a two year Education program. When I told friends and family, I got mixed reactions ranging from, “Are you crazy?” “Congrats! I think you’re amazing to tackle grad school and the Brady bunch.” “Master Ami.” And, “I’ll be praying for you.”

It’s been one of my goals to someday earn my PhD and this is the first step towards that goal. But unlike my undergraduate education, my graduate work will be in my field of work, delving narrower and deeper into my chosen profession. I’m also told I will have a much closer relationship with my professors, which means no “getting by” because they’ll expect more from me as well. Grad school will also allow me to immerse myself in what I am really passionate about, which are undergraduate students at the University. And aside from gaining an advantage over others in my career, more education means more money. More money is always good!

The benefits of an advanced degree are numerous, and so are the reasons for earning one, however I do have to wonder, “Am I crazy for taking one more thing on?” I guess the answer would be “Yes!” if I weren’t learning to say “no.” I’ve informed the Children Pastor at our church that come September I’ll have to take a step back. I’m contemplating my resignation as Secretary of the soccer board. I’m learning to walk away at 4pm and not take work home. I’m going to try harder to find a replacement for myself on the PTA board. And I’ve asked my husband to “step it up a notch” come September. These are baby steps in reaching my goal.

Questions that were asked of me during my decision process were, “Can you juggle multiple tasks, projects, and papers at once?” And, “Can you manage time effectively?” I think I’ve already experimented, tested, and lived out my findings in these areas, I just need a degree that tells me I’ve mastered it.

1 comment:

  1. You will do great Ami! I am back in school, full-time, and I have found that the stretch to reach a goal is a bit painful, but very rewarding. School + half a dozen kids (we're in the same boat now, I see!) is not an unmanageable task... I believe the Lord has brought me and my family to this place so we can all let go of some of our more human hang ups.
    Mark now has a "Laundry day", and Emily now knows how to plan and execute a meal, and Sarah has learned how to resolve more conflicts on her own...
    These are all great things for the entire family, and I am sure that you will benefit more than you think.
    Good luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete