Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Power of Words

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep,and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.


Years ago a girlfriend called me up, excited that her boyfriend called and asked her about “the kids.” For her, this was a big “next step” in their relationship. For me, I learned that day about the power of words.

Curt and I recently had a talk about how he speaks in terms of “I” or “me.” I told him that by not using “us,” “we,” or “our” he’s not acknowledging me and my role in this family. He explained it was not his intent to exclude me or to hurt me with those words. He explained that when he says “I” or “me” he is referring to me as well. I explained to him that that is not what his words convey. Needless to say, we don’t see eye to eye on this. Though I am his wife, and we are one, I cannot hear intent. Words are powerful, they carry positive or negative connotations and they express unity or individuality.

When speaking to others I endeavor to speak of “the children” or “our children” unless I’m explaining the dynamics of our blended family and which children belong to which parent. I refer to me in terms of “us,” “we,” and “our.” This lets people know I am a part of a larger family unit; that I am a wife and mother (to a tribe).

My girlfriend’s conversation has stayed with me through the years and I finally understand her excitement over “the kids” because the connotation is that her boyfriend values her kids and hopes to someday be a permanent part of their lives. Just as Curt using the words “we” or “us” would illustrate that I am in his and the children’s lives.

In analyzing my conversation with Curt, I am reminded that for six days God spoke and it was so. The words we speak have just as much authority because we were created in His image.

No comments:

Post a Comment